Angels In My Rearview

I am a 30 year old MOM of 2, WIFE of 1. My chilluns are almost 3 and 1. I live in Texas as of the beginning of 2006. I have a wonderful and nearly-perfect husband who such praise is lost on because he is much less swayed by any acclaim, or already knows it. I am mostly fulfilled by my job, sometimes overwhelmed, and frequently searching for deeper meaning under piles of laundry. I believe in documenting the things that leave impressions and that make you laugh. Thus, I blog.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Memories and A Photo Shoot

I have until the last chorus of Barney's "I Love You" song to blog. About two strains into Jay Jay, where we buckle up tight for a magical flight, Avery gets bored and wanders off for bigger and better things. I am both bigger, and better. If I type very quietly, maybe she won't find me. I come from a family of loud typists though, so that's probably not going to happen. Today's post was intended to be about a conversation I had with Ben yesterday. I took a reenacted picture of it this morning for purposes of captivating my audience and...well then it just turned into this adorable little episode of Avery posing for the camera and then a not so adorable pushing fight of who got to have their picture taken next. And yes it was a fight; Avery was pushing just as much. She was the first pusher.

Anyway, here goes. Yesterday I was standing at the bathroom sink brushing or flossing or applying or plucking and Ben came and stood next to me with a small pillow on top of his head. Not unusual, by any means.
See, it wasn't a contrived reenactment, totally appropriate.

He then begins an entire recount of something that I can't figure out, but is VERY detailed and specific. It goes something like this. "Remember when Daddy wore this hat and a black shirt and orange at the station in his red car upstairs?" He repeated several of those details; and based on past experience with this kid's insanely accurate and elephant-like memory, I was going way back in my mind to recall what he was talking about. Jay was nearby and I asked him if he knew what Ben was talking about. He did not. Ben kept repeating these details, with my encouragement because I was determined to make MY good memory work. He puts me to shame. I even started thinking of things Jay wore or did BEFORE Ben was born. Maybe he was looking down from heaven and recalling that. I'm not kidding, I was that desperate to recall and not be memory-upped by this little pachyderm brain. THEN he said something that suddenly brought it to my mind. I can't even remember what he said, but I suddenly realized the pillow "hat" on his head was Jay's black mortarboard, his "black shirt" was his black gown, and the "orange" was his golden tassel tassle hanging from his cap. The station was the building his graduation was held in, which he did drive himself to in his red car, and after walking down the aisle, he went up about 5 stairs onto a stage to receive his diploma. This was 13 months ago, when Benjamin was not quite 2. And not really talking either. Yeah, the kid's memory amazes me. My sister said, "Oh, I'm glad he's yours not mine!" and I said, "Whatever, I'm capitalizing on this for sure!" I'm not joking. We can teach him some obscure and meaningless lists of things to memorize and Letterman, HERE WE COME.

So, as I'm taking Ben's photo for this, Avery comes along and shoves him out of the way and starts chirping orders at me, complete with hand gestures. I'm sure she intended to be barking the orders, but she just has this tiny girly voice. I obliged.
Tell me this child isn't intended for the spotlight.
















I remind you, she's THIRTEEN MONTHS OLD.

Yesterday Jay plunked Avery on top of my big ol' exercise ball. She loved it and hung out there for nearly half an hour before she got plucked off to go to bed. I put her back on this morning to snap a shot of it, while Ben not so securely, held the ball still.

The wobbling and almost falling off made her laugh hysterically. I only wish that with this picture you could hear her shrieks of laughter that resembled a 1980 Chevy Citation trying to start in the dead of winter. Even Ben noted, "That sounds funny how she laughs."

Ben has started to back-talk a little. I ask him to do something and he says, "No. You do it!" He did it a few times last night and then again this morning. I said to him, "Ben, that's back-talking, and I don't like it..." He looked at me with his face all screwed up, because the face needs to do that to try and straighten out the screwed up statement that just went through his ears, and he says in a you-don't-make-no-sense-t'all tone of voice, "It's bag tacos ?" Yes Ben, I'm the one with the speech impediment.

12 Comments:

  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Code Yellow Mom said…

    Holy Cow - that girl is a force to be reckoned with. And those legs! Beyond edibly cute.

    Ben's memory is awesome. It's a little unnerving how much their brains take in, even before they are able to talk about it.

    "I am both bigger, and better," made me laugh. Still laughing.

    Bag tacos is bad news. And they become proficient at it at such an early age.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I stand by my word- I am glad they are BOTH yours and not mine. But don't forget your poor ole'sis when the fame hits. Maybe they can have a show in Branson after I move there. Joshua could be the opening act atleast! I think Ben is just warming you up for Avery:) Good luck and Good night!!!

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    Um, excuse me, are both my sister's posting comments under "S" because that just will NOT do.

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ummm... she's so big that I may die! and cute!

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am sure that you...the mother of two redheads:) will be able to differentiate the two S's

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    Now listen here! This is MY blog and I have a right to know. I'm a smart girl, I know my sisters, but this just isn't fair.
    Sincerely, a used-to-be S!

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ben would do well to hang with Gma Smith some more. She has Quinn reciting the twelve tribes of Israel and all of these little phonics rules rhymes. Quinn impressed my neighbor across the street with his tribes knowledge. Neighbor: Wow, how'd you learn all of that?
    Quinn: I just have a good brain.
    I'm glad to know there is a chance that Benja might remember Aunt Emily. We did have that bonding moment outside 331:
    Ben, with a stick in his hands, to me, with baby A in my arms: "You're holdin' Avery? Yeah...I got some wood."
    And don't worry, I get my share of "Mama, every time you talk, this room gets stinkier." (It was early! My teeth had not been attended to yet!)
    Em

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    Okay, it might be borderline lame to constantly comment in your own blog's comment section, but I'm laughing so hard, it MUST be acknowledged. I am laughing at "Mama, every time you talk, this room gets stinkier". See, I could take the insults if they were stated so hilariously. Ben's conversations skills have improved somewhat, but I'm happy to have that dialogue in print---the writers of the Simpsons must hang out with 2-yr-old kids a lot.
    -You mailing a package?
    -Yeah
    -I hear that. I'm probably going to mail something tomorrow.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It might be borderline lame to comment twice on someone's blog's comment page, but I had to join the fun. Love Ya Like a Sis. :)

    I crack myself up.

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Carrie said…

    Angela, it is so good to hear from you. You moved to Texas. That is too far away. You must come back.:) Your kids are adorable. I didn't even know that you had one more. Yikes, and your son is growing so fast. I have not seen him since he was about one. I will be back to read more. Thanks for stopping by my blog.:)

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know imposter "S" and you know who you are - You crack me up:)
    one click straight to your link! One more thing a quick review has me noting that I have been the one and only "S". And if you Angela wanna go back to birth you can be an "S" too but not that "T" girl.:)

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Blogger Big Jay said…

    In that last picture, Ben looks like Napoleon Dynamite.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home