Angels In My Rearview

I am a 30 year old MOM of 2, WIFE of 1. My chilluns are almost 3 and 1. I live in Texas as of the beginning of 2006. I have a wonderful and nearly-perfect husband who such praise is lost on because he is much less swayed by any acclaim, or already knows it. I am mostly fulfilled by my job, sometimes overwhelmed, and frequently searching for deeper meaning under piles of laundry. I believe in documenting the things that leave impressions and that make you laugh. Thus, I blog.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Prefer Liposuction, Thank You Very Much

Before I begin my barrage of thoughts, I'd like to make a comment on comments. Maybe some of you don't know this. Maybe some of you do. My last post elicited 5 phone calls, all with the caller laughing heartily and choking out words like, "cake" and "icing" and "can't breathe" as I said hello. Maybe you are all like me and don't like to laugh alone. I understand. But what I need you to understand is this. The comment section of a blogger's blog is like the inside of a yearbook cover for a 7th grader on the last day of school. An empty one is not acceptable. And she feels dejected and lame and oh-so unpopular. But that doesn't happen. A 7th grader doesn't put herself in that situation and she will walk up to perfect strangers to get those "Hey, I didn't know you well, but I saw you sometimes in Civics and you seem cool" or "Stay sweet, have a great summer, see you next year, lylas!" Well, I draw the line, as a 30 year old woman who is mostly comfortable in her own skin, I'm not gonna crawl. But leave comments for pete's sake. And to make my point clear, from now on I will only be accepting phone calls from comment leavers.

Onward.

My title is what I have been thinking for the last hour or so. I went to the gym with Ben. I took him because I want to instill in him the deep and abiding love that I have for all things exercisely. What I instead gave him was my newly acquired, deep and abiding fear of treadmills. I FELL OFF THE TREADMILL. I really fell off. I didn't stumble, miss a step, catch myself, no sireebob, I fell off. I guess more fittingly, I fell ON it, and it quickly spit me off. Not nearly quickly enough for my wounded pride and bruised....well, this is a family-friendly blog.

It really hurt, and even though I was alone, my eyes of course darted around the room to hastily ascertain who else had seen my unsightly flailing off the 'mill. Only my son. And that will be embarrassing in time. It will undoubtedly come back to haunt me, like letting him pee in the woods and taking him to my 9 month pregnant doctor's examine has. "Treadmiwl? Treadmiwl? My mommy got sucko-punched by one yestowday---I saw four limbs go in 7 diffowent diwections!" I felt some consolation as I scraped my body off the floor and my upper thigh from the tread of the mill as I realized I had just created a blog topic. To make me seem tough in this blog, I got back on the treadmill and finished my "workout". Amidst my racing heart (not yet from the workout, for fear of the blasted machine), and Ben's queries, "Why did you falled mom? Why did you dood that? Why did your mouff go on that black thing, that's (d')susting mom, we don't do that..."

I spent the rest of my workout studying the treadmill trying to figure out how I fell as I did. I didn't figure it out. I didn't make it up. And if this wasn't a family-friendly blog, and if I didn't have some decency, I'd post a picture to prove it. I'm really not a clumsy person either---I have no explanation. When Jay gets home, I'm gonna ask him if we can return this nifty heart rate monitor he just got, and just put the money toward my lipo fund. There has GOT to be a better way.

10 Comments:

  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Melodee said…

    I'm a little scared of treadmills myself. I prefer the recumbent bike where no one gets hurt. Or embarrassed.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I beat YELLOW! I am laughin out of control for the simple fact that I saw a girl do the same things not too long ago.Except she accidently sped the darn thing us so fast that a brief loud uncontrolled fast running pace preceded the extremely loud tossing of the body. It truly was the scariest,most painful and the funniest thing I have ever seen. Be thankful you were alone, you can handle BEN! Even though I didnt' post on the last one, I too missed the comments. I guess summer vacations has hit. Take two advil, 1 pint of Ben and Jerry's and call me in the morning:)

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That last post... I didn't comment because I was laughing hysterically and all I could think of to say was THE FROSTING! THE CAKE! OH MY!

    Don't ever feel bad about making a fool of yourself in front of your kids... just remember that when it comes right down to it, you've got waaay more dirt on them than they will ever have on you!

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Code Yellow Mom said…

    I didn't know this was a race, s. :) I guess I got thrown off the comment treadmill today!

    Sure glad I commented last time before I called. I mean, before you called me.

    Sorry about your wounded...er, pride.

    If this was a yearbook, I'd write a little "ditto" below S's prescription and Emily's comment on dirt. Plus, a "Hope your son always tawks wike dat. (Only I'm not as good at the transliteration as you are.) Stay sweet and off exercise equipment. LYLAS."

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Big Jay said…

    One comfort you can take is this. If Sam did his lunges today, he will be hurting much worse than you tomorrow. You can bet on that. I'm sorry that you got hurt, and that we didn't get it on tape to send into America's Funniest Home Videos, complete with Benjamin's commentary. "Mom that tweadmiwl sucko punched you and that was pwetty funny wasn't it? Keehehehehe."

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay, I've enjoyed these blogs long enough without a comment. That's just plain funny! I have a deep fear of falling on the elliptical each and every time I go to the gym. There would be dozens of people to witness that one. Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet, but I did almost pee my pants once. Thank goodness you just had Ben, the walking advertisement for your mistakes and blunders! Keep working at it and it will be like second nature (not the falling down!).

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Note to self.. don't read blog with a full bladder..!! :)

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Angela said…

    Thank you my friends for leaving comments. And for your reasons for not leaving comments in the past. Made me laugh, like I'm some kind of comment glutton dictator.

     
  • At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't like them either. Machines that interact with people shouldn't be allowed to run people ragged and kick them if they can't keep up. Sure enjoyed Ben in Missouri. If you have another boy, you gonna name him Jerry?

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Big Jay said…

    Jerry? Not gonna happen. I happen to have veto power.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home