Angels In My Rearview

I am a 30 year old MOM of 2, WIFE of 1. My chilluns are almost 3 and 1. I live in Texas as of the beginning of 2006. I have a wonderful and nearly-perfect husband who such praise is lost on because he is much less swayed by any acclaim, or already knows it. I am mostly fulfilled by my job, sometimes overwhelmed, and frequently searching for deeper meaning under piles of laundry. I believe in documenting the things that leave impressions and that make you laugh. Thus, I blog.

Monday, June 26, 2006

I Really Should Post

It just makes sense to be consistent. But my mind is swimming with trivial and non-trivial and I can't pick a side.

My sister called me on my cell and yelled at me to post because she'd been waiting for 3 days and that was long enough. This is the sister I just spent an entire week with and sat next to for 2 very long plane rides. I was on the land line with my mom when she did this and my mom told me to tell her to shut up. So apparently it's now okay to say that word in her house.

Avery runs from me the INSTANT she realizes I want or need her. Sometimes it's like she's telepathic and takes off before I even know I need her. But tonight at bedtime I held my hand out to her and said, "Let's go to bed Avery". Sometimes I just do things like that for the sheer entertainment of the response. Imagine my shock when she happily trotted over to me, grasped two of my fingers with both of her hands and pulled me down the hall to her bed. The girl is a sleeper and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Ben on the other hand is a parrot. Last night after he got a suprise belated birthday present, he got into a little bit of a scuffle over it with Avery. She started it. Ben has gotten really good about using his words and so he was talking (albeit through gritted teeth) Avery through it and ended the incident with, "Avee, I am NOT having dis tonvo-sation with you!"

Remember those things your mom or dad used to say to you and you thought to yourself, "I am NEVER saying that" or "Do they REALIZE how stupid that sounds?" Well, here I am. I say it. They're not so stupid. Or they are and I don't care. Hearing Ben say that was very entertaining because there was no conversation, and it brings home the point that much of what I say to him doesn't make sense. But it was funny to realize I had already begun my phrases of nonsense as a parent. I believe that I can say with complete assurity that, "If I have to come in there..." and "If I come in there and find it, you will be fined $5" (Jay not excluded) and "If you don't mess around, you won't have to say you're sorry" will fill my childrens ears for many, many years to come. Maybe even after they are movie stars and brain surgeons, supporting my chocolate and botox habits. By then we'll be eating botulism and injecting chocolate though.

It's our anniversary in 3 days. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world because Jay will be in town for it. See, he got that wise advice long ago from some old veteran of marriage, "keep your standards low, so her expectations won't be high". I got the same advice, but then it turned out, some things just can't get lower. How do you accidentally burn a shirt ironing when you don't even own an iron? And how do you "really foul up" a dinner of hot dogs and ramen? Or leave a ring around a tub that's a solid grey?

I want to do something fun and/or different for our anniversary so if you have any ideas, send them my way. My friend suggested one of those Medieval Times type dinner shows. One starts here on our anniversary. I looked it up and it's $50 a ticket. I'm sorry, but it would have to be Heath Ledger, in tights, jousting, on my table, for me to pay that much. And even then, I'd have to reconsider because men in tights is just wrong on so many levels.

I guess the trivial won out.

Next time you'll think twice before you harrass me for a post.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Super Happy Girl said…

    Angela, I don't know what happened to my Blogline link, which I had as "angelsinmyrearview.blogspot.com", that's NOT you, at all. Did it change somehow and I wasn't aware?, or am I just so confused I had the wrong link for days?

    Anyways, boy, did I ever tell myself "I'll never say that to my kids", ha!, I have proven myself wrong time and time again, the dumbest one I do is the calling the kids by their whole names when I'm not happy. Grrr! how goofy is that? why do we do that? how did I turn into my mom?

    Men in tights are a big strong NO for me. Perhaps that's why I don't enjoy ballet if men are involved. No gracias.

    Your sister is tough. Better not make her wait for so long next time, you naughty sister.

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Millie said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Angela said…

    Naddin,
    I emailed you. I think. Check it.

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger Millie said…

    Haven't gotten it.

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger aubrey said…

    sorry to butt in on all your funny, trivial chat, but. hey. we have the same birthday! i saw you on the good mail list and had to find your blog and comment. i hope i clicked on the right name. happy birthday in...16 days.

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger aubrey said…

    well. listen. i'm a retard. please don't publish that. or do. it might be funny. nice to meet you anyway!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home